This product has been upgraded.
View new upgrade, CAN232 FD converter.
RS232 CAN Converter - CAN232
CAN232 Adapter Image Tilted
CAN232 Adapter Image
RS232 CAN Converter - CAN232
RS232 CAN Converter - CAN232: 220V - No Isolation - DCE - Female 9 Pin RS232 Connector
Stock Status: Out of Stock
THIS PRODUCT is no longer available. View new CAN232 FD
This product is no longer available.
Comparable product is the CAN232 FD converter.
We've Got You Covered
With a wide variety of settings and configuration parameters this CAN RS232 converter creates a powerful solution for interfacing between Serial and CAN (Controller Area Network) Networks.
The RS232 CAN converter can be used in either command mode or virtual circuit mode depending on the functionality desired.
Command mode on the RS232 CAN converter allows it to send and receive CAN messages through the RS232 port providing complete conversion from RS232 to CAN messages. This mode also supports message filtering limiting the range of CAN identifiers that are received. CAN messages sent and received through the RS232 serial port can be in readable ASCII format, or binary format.
To use Command Mode with the CAN232 adapter connected to a PC, no special software is provided. Simply use a favorite terminal emulation program such as TeraTerm or HyperTerminal, etc. Then, you can send and receive CAN messages through the terminal window. You can write your own software application to send and receive CAN messages by just using the COM port of your PC. If you are writing a software program, consider using the “binary” mode instead of ASCII mode.
Virtual Circuit Mode:
Virtual Circuit Mode allows the CAN232 converter act as a transparent ‘Virtual’ RS232 link between itself and a second RS232 CAN converter. This mode provides the ability to “tunnel” RS232 Serial data between the two adapters, using the CAN network for transport. For example, this could be used to reach a remote serial port that is in a machine or engine that uses CAN, to get at the serial port for configuration, or data logging.
- Complete Backward Compatibility with prior version (CAN-uVCCM)
- Simple configuration using a standard terminal or serial port
- Integrated Serial Cable: Male DTE or Female DCE available (Call to order Female DCE)
- Based on an ARM Cortex-M3 32-bit microcontroller (~25x faster than prior version)
- Enter set-up via “Configuration Push Button”
- CAN messages coming from the serial port may be formatted is ASCII or binary
- Integrated help menu for set-up/configuration commands.
- Automatic set-up of “bit-time” and “slew rate” (may be adjusted through configuration commands).
- Test Features: can be used to generate CAN Square wave to measure propagation delay and evaluate bus termination.
- Compatible with CAN 2.0A (11-bit ID standard) and/or 2.0B (29-bit ID extended)
- Baud rates up to 1Mbaud, CIA DS-102 pinout (H=7, L=2, GND=3)
- • DCE Female (TX=2, RX=3, GND=5) or DTE Male (TX=3, RX=2, GND=5) DB9 connector
- Configurable Baud Rates up to 1Mbps
- 7 or 8 data bits, odd, even, mark, space, no parity, 1 or 2 stop bits
Documents and Drivers
COM RS232 Serial: Up to 1 Mbps
7 or 8 data bits
- COM RS232 Serial: Female DB9 or Male DB9
- CAN Network: Male DB9 or Female DB9 (Call for Female DB9)
- RS232: TX & RX activity
- CANbus: TX & RX activity
- Power: Power On
5000 VRMS for ISO1050DW and 2500 VRMS for ISO1050DUB and ISO1050LDW
odd, even, mark, space, none
- COM RS232 Serial Port: DCE (TX = 2, RX = 3, GND = 5)
- COM RS232 Serial Port: DTE (TX = 3, RX = 2, GND = 5)
- CAN Network Port: C.I.A. DS-102 (CAN_H = 7, CAN_L = 2, CAN_GND = 3)
COM RS232 Serial Port: RS232 3-Wire DCE Pinout / RS232 3-Wire DTE Pinout
PRODUCT POWER SUPPLY
7-24 VDC, 3/4 Watt ; (9VDC, 550ma Wall supply optionally included)
RECEIVE MESSAGE BUFFER
- COM RS232 Serial: 2 Messages
- CAN Network: 10 Message
SLEW RATE ADJUST
- Range: MIN >= 2.5 V/µs, MAX <= 20 V/µs
- Method: Adjustable via potentiometer and screwdriver
1 or 2
Operating: -40°C to +85° C
CAN Network Port: ISO1050 CAN Transceiver up to 1 mbit/s
You Might Be Interested In
We have the best technical support engineers that know how to use our products.
If our Tech Support cannot solve your problem, we will contact the design engineer or manufacturer to help find a resolution.